Dickson Ho - Asian and Emerging Markets Research Team
Principal Economist (Asian and Emerging Markets)
Areas of Research:
- Trends and features of Hong Kong’s major service industries
- Business opportunities in East Asia (excluding Greater China) and South Asia
- Market and trade developments in the Middle East and Africa
As the head of Asian and Emerging Markets Research Team, Dickson provides leadership and direction for research on the business opportunities in emerging markets under his team’s surveillance, including East Asia (excluding Greater China), South Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Dickson and his team closely monitor economic and regulatory developments in those emerging markets and report on new market trends and consumer characteristics, especially in relation to the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). In addition, the team monitors trends and business developments affecting Hong Kong’s service suppliers (in sectors including logistics, financial and professional services), such as the BRI, regional integration and free trade agreement, in particular their access to the Chinese mainland market via CEPA.
Some of the signature projects of his team include "Make in India: Production Relocation and Market Opportunities for Hong Kong Electronics Companies", “Myanmar Rising: Industrial and Special Economic Zones", "Iran Unbound: Retail and Consumer Goods Opportunities", and "Production in Bangladesh: Recent Development and Opportunities".
Economists of Asian and Emerging Markets Research Team
Latest Research Articles
- Make in India: Domestic Sales Opportunities for Hong Kong Garment Companies Considering Factory Relocation
- Alternative Production Bases in Mainland Southeast Asia (2)
- Alternative Production Bases in Mainland Southeast Asia (1)
- Alternative Production Bases in Southeast Asia: an Introduction
- Make in India: Production Relocation Opportunities for Hong Kong Garment Companies
- India as an Alternative Production Base
- Production bases in Indochina offer options and challenges for Hong Kong manufacturers
- Alternative Production Bases in Indochina
- Adding Value to the Licensing Sector via the Hong Kong Platform
- Beyond Character Licensing and the Mainland Opportunity
Rising production costs in China have hastened the search for alternative production bases in Indochina, where choices are varied. Thailand may appear a good option because of premier physical and business infrastructure, yet its appeal for labour-intensive manufacturing is fast diminishing against that of Vietnam, a rising star in Indochina. Cambodia and Myanmar appear to be more viable options than Laos, though the former two are not without their own challenges.