Dickson Ho - Asian and Emerging Markets Research Team
Principal Economist (Asian and Emerging Markets)
Areas of Research:
- Business opportunities in East Asia (excluding Greater China) and South Asia
- Market and trade developments in the Middle East and Africa
Introduction of the Asian and Emerging Markets Team
Dickson guides the Asian and Emerging Markets team in undertaking research on the business opportunities in the emerging markets, including East Asia (excluding Greater China), South Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Dickson and his team closely monitor economic and regulatory developments in these emerging markets and report on new market trends and consumer characteristics with a bearing on Hong Kong companies, particularly in relation to regional integration and free trade agreement involving Hong Kong and economies under the team’s surveillance.
In addition, the team monitors trends and business developments affecting Hong Kong’s service suppliers and manufacturers in selected sectors including logistics and construction services and housewares.
Areas of Research:
- Trends and features of Hong Kong’s major manufacturing and services industries
- Market developments and trade policies in Asia (excluding Greater China), Middle East and Africa
- Business opportunities in emerging markets in Asia (excluding Greater China), Middle East and Africa
Economist of Asian and Emerging Markets Research Team
Latest Research Articles
- The Middle Class Consumer Markets in ASEAN: Hong Kong Opportunities (Executive Summary)
- Make in India: Domestic Sales Opportunities for Hong Kong Garment Companies Considering Factory Relocation
- Alternative Production Bases in Mainland Southeast Asia (2)
- Alternative Production Bases in Mainland Southeast Asia (1)
- Alternative Production Bases in Southeast Asia: an Introduction
- The Philippines: Accessing the Consumer Market
- Make in India: Production Relocation Opportunities for Hong Kong Garment Companies
- India as an Alternative Production Base
- Production bases in Indochina offer options and challenges for Hong Kong manufacturers
- Alternative Production Bases in Indochina
- Adding Value to the Licensing Sector via the Hong Kong Platform
- Beyond Character Licensing and the Mainland Opportunity
Rising production costs in China have hastened the search for alternative production bases in Indochina, where choices are varied. Thailand may appear a good option because of premier physical and business infrastructure, yet its appeal for labour-intensive manufacturing is fast diminishing against that of Vietnam, a rising star in Indochina. Cambodia and Myanmar appear to be more viable options than Laos, though the former two are not without their own challenges.