Nicholas Kwan - Director of Research
Director of Research
Nicholas joined HKTDC as the Director of Research in May 2013. His department provides in-depth and up-to-date analysis and advice on economic and trade issues, covering key industries and services in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and most major and emerging markets. Nicholas has over 30 years of experience of economic and business research, including more than six years at Standard Chartered Bank as its Asia Research Head, seven years working for the Hong Kong Monetary Authority covering both macro-economic and policy research, and 11 years at Merrill Lynch, finishing as its Asia Regional Chief Economist. Nicholas is a graduate of the Chinese University of Hong Kong and has an MBA degree from the UK’s Warwick University. He was also a Chartered Financial Analyst.
Areas of Research:
- Regional trade and economic integration
- Asian economic development
- International finance
- Monetary and fiscal policy
- Investment strategy
Welcome to HKTDC Research, home to one of Hong Kong’s most experienced research teams. We are ideally positioned to provide you with in-depth and up-to-date economic analysis and market intelligence covering Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland, and most major and emerging markets.
With a history of more than 40 years, HKTDC Research provides exclusive market intelligence from its global business network. This includes unique local insights from our over 40 branch and consultant offices around the world, including over a dozen dedicated offices in key regions of the Chinese Mainland.
Our services allow you to benefit from the team’s privileged access to insights from international industry and market experts around the world. These globally-respected figures are frequent participants in many of HKTDC’s 800+ conferences, exhibitions and business missions each year, including many of Asia’s and the world’s leading trade events.
We also guarantee you access to information and analysis gained from our research team’s personally undertaken market surveys and field studies. This insight is further enhanced by data from our proprietary studies and business indicators, including the Hong Kong Offshore Trade Study and the HKTDC Export Index.
Practical business advice is also very much part of our remit, with our team of China Business Advisors enjoying direct access to the trade and investment authorities in the three prime Mainland business centres - Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong.
To ensure rapid and straightforward access to the information you require, we keep our research reports short and sharp. They are all instantly accessible online and optimised for PC, smartphone and tablet usage. Our dedicated team of researchers are also available to share their extensive experience with you face-to-face - through workshops, seminars, videos and a number of other interactive channels.
I hope you will find HKTDC Research helpful and would welcome your feedback, which should ensure we contribute even more to your business. Your business is our mission.
Director of Research, HKTDC
- A Blessing in Disguise: A Game Theory Analysis of the US-China Trade Dispute
- Hong Kong’s Changing Status and Future Prospects (2): The Singapore Growth Myth
- Hong Kong’s Changing Status and Future Prospects (1): Marginalisation or Normalisation?
- Hong Kong and the Mainland: An Evolving Interdependency
- The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Bay Area and Hong Kong
- “The Belt and Road” and Hong Kong’s Economic Transformation and Challenges
- The Belt and Road and the Reshaping and Adjustment of World Economic Order
- The Belt and Road Initiative and the Opening Up and Sustained Development of the Chinese Economy
- 專訪香港貿易發展局研究總監關家明：大灣區建設助推進一步改革開放 (時代周報)
- 全球商報香江論壇嘉賓發言 (香港商報網)
- 香港貿發局研究總監關家明：加強國際化和市場化是區域合作的新要求 (泛珠三角合作信息網)
- 香港與一帶一路的成敗 (財新網)
- 減成本 避關稅 可考慮生產工序外移 (Commercial Radio’s programme 營商有法寶)
- 面對美國關稅措施 港商報關有法 (Commercial Radio’s programme 營商有法寶)
- The Belt and Road Initiative and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Bay Area (interview by Commercial Radio's programme 人生交叉盤)(Chinese)