About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
繁體 简体
Save As PDF Email this page Print this page
Qzone

Imported Beers on the Rise as Taiwan Enjoys Sweltering Summer

Although local brewers still dominate the market, overseas beers continue to grow more popular by the year.

Photo: Trouble brewing: Overseas beers set to increase market share in Taiwan. (Shutterstock.com)
Trouble brewing: Overseas beers set to increase market share in Taiwan.
Photo: Trouble brewing: Overseas beers set to increase market share in Taiwan. (Shutterstock.com)
Trouble brewing: Overseas beers set to increase market share in Taiwan.

With record-breaking temperatures forecast for the summer, Taiwan is also bracing itself for a record-breaking run on imported beers. According to Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau, temperatures over 35°C are likely throughout July, with June having already proved one of the hottest on record.

In a timely bid to capitalise on these thirst-inducing conditions, two of Taiwan's largest supermarket chains – 7-Eleven and Family Mart – have already launched dedicated in-store beer festivals. This has seen both chains significantly extend their range and variety of imported beers.

In addition to the obligatory Dutch Heineken, Japan's Kirin and Suntory, and, Ireland's proudest export, Guinness, both chains are also stocking beers from the US, Canada, Sweden, Spain and Denmark. More female-friendly fruit beers and low-alcohol beers have also been allocated shelf space.

In 2014, According to the National Treasury Administration of Taiwan's Ministry of Finance, the total sales volume of domestic and imported beers amounted to 539 million litres. Drilling down into the figures, domestic beers accounted for 69.6% of sales, with imports making up the remaining 30.4%.

Although domestic brewers currently have comfortable lead in the market, the popularity of imported beers has enjoyed a rising trend over the last three years. In 2012, overseas brewers had a 26.31% share but, by 2014, this had risen to 30.4%, a total volume increase of 19.8 million litres.

Sylvia Yeh, Taiwan Office

Content provided by Picture: HKTDC Research
Comments (0)
Shows local time in Hong Kong (GMT+8 hours)

HKTDC welcomes your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful of other readers.
Review our Comment Policy

*Add a comment (up to 5,000 characters)