About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
Save As PDF Print this page

Canada Issues Updated Requirements for Imports of Energy-Using Products

The Canada Border Services Agency has issued a revised guidance document outlining the requirements that govern the importation into Canada of energy-using products. Importers of subject merchandise must comply with five essential requirements: (i) ensure that their products meet minimum energy efficiency standards; (ii) file an energy efficiency report with Natural Resources Canada prior to first import; (iii) ensure that their products bear an energy efficiency verification mark from a certification body accredited by the Standards Council of Canada; (iv) provide all necessary import information to the CBSA at the time of import; and (v) in the case of certain regulated products, ensure that those products bear labels indicating their energy performance.

Energy-using products that require an EnerGuide label include clothes dryers; clothes washers; dishwashers; electric ranges; freezers; integrated over/under washer-dryers; refrigerators, combination refrigerator-freezers and wine chillers; and room air conditioners. A lighting product label is required for general service incandescent reflector lamps, compact fluorescent lamps and general service lamps (common light bulbs).

A dealer importing an energy-using product into Canada must provide the following information to Natural Resources Canada via the CBSA: (i) the name of the product using a specific name; (ii) the model number of the product, including motors; (iii) the brand, if any, of the product; (iv) the address of the dealer; and (v) one of the following purposes for which the product is being imported: (a) sale or lease in Canada without modification or (b) sale or lease in Canada after being modified to comply with the applicable energy efficiency standard. These data elements must be included in the release package that is transmitted to the CBSA electronically using the Other Government Department Interface or the Single Window Initiative. As of 1 June 2012 approved participants of CBSA’s Customs Self-Assessment programme are eligible to meet their import reporting requirements under the Energy Efficiency Regulations by sending monthly import reports directly to Natural Resources Canada. As of 29 March 2015 release requests for regulated energy-using products may also be provided to the CBSA by submitting the Integrated Import Declaration.

Energy-using products covered by these information requirements are automatic ice-makers; beverage vending machines (refrigerated); ceiling fans and ceiling fan light kits; chillers; clothes dryers; clothes washers (including household-style commercial); compact audio products; CFLs; dehumidifiers; digital television adapters; dishwashers; dry-type transformers; electric boilers; electric motors (from 1-500 HP/0.746-375 kW); electric ranges; electric water heaters; exit signs; external power supplies; fluorescent lamp ballasts; freezers; gas boilers; gas fireplaces; gas-fired unit heaters; gas furnaces; gas ranges; gas water heaters; general service fluorescent lamps; general service incandescent reflector lamps; general service lamps; ground or water source heat pumps; integrated washer-dryers; internal water loop heat pumps; large air conditioners, heat pumps and condensing units; oil-fired boilers; oil-fired furnaces; oil-fired water heaters; packaged terminal air conditioners and heat pumps; pedestrian modules; fridges, combination fridge-freezers and wine chillers; room air conditioners; single package vertical air conditioners and heat pumps; self-contained commercial fridges and freezers; single-phase and three-phase single package central air conditioners and heat pumps; single-phase and three-phase split-system central air conditioners and heat pumps; TVs; torchieres; traffic signals; and video products. The import reporting requirement applies to a regulated energy-using product even if it is incorporated into any other article, such as an electric motor that is part of a hoist, fan, blower or pump, or a ballast that is part of a fluorescent lighting fixture.

Examples of situations when the Energy Efficiency Regulations do not apply include personal importations, energy-using products imported for companies’ own use (e.g., restaurants or hotels importing TV sets, fridges, external power supplies or stoves to be used in their own facilities) or if the equipment comes without any regulated components.

Content provided by Picture: HKTDC Research
Comments (0)
Shows local time in Hong Kong (GMT+8 hours)

HKTDC welcomes your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful of other readers.
Review our Comment Policy

*Add a comment (up to 5,000 characters)