10 Sept 2019
Miscellaneous Canadian and Latin American AD/CV Actions on Mainland Chinese Products
Canada Renews AD/CV Duty Orders on Silicon Metal and Thermoelectric Containers. The Canadian International Trade Tribunal recently issued separate final affirmative injury determinations in its expiry reviews of the antidumping and countervailing duty orders on mainland Chinese (1) silicon metal containing at least 96.00 percent but less than 99.99 percent silicon by weight, as well as silicon metal containing between 89.00 percent and 96.00 percent silicon by weight that contains aluminium greater than 0.20 percent by weight, of all forms and sizes, classified under HTSCA 2804.69.0000; and (2) thermoelectric containers that provide cooling and/or warming with the use of a passive heat sink and a thermoelectric module, excluding liquid dispensers, classified under HTSCA 8418.61.0000, 8418.50.1000, 8418.50.2900, 8418.69.9090, 8418.99.9090, 8418.29.0000 and 8418.69.9080. As a result, these orders have been renewed for an additional five years.
Canada Considers Sunset Review of AD/CV Duty Orders on Fasteners. The CITT is seeking comments from interested parties by 1 October on whether it should initiate an expiry review of the AD and CV duty orders on certain mainland Chinese carbon steel fasteners. The CITT will only initiate a review if it determines that there is sufficient information for such a review to be performed. If a review is not initiated, the order will be allowed to expire as scheduled on 4 January 2020. Submissions may address such issues as the likelihood of continued or resumed dumping and subsidising of the goods, the likely volume and price ranges of dumped and subsidised imports if dumping and subsidising were to continue or resume, the domestic industry’s recent performance, including trends in production, sales, market share and profits, and the likelihood of injury to the domestic industry if the orders were allowed to expire. The CITT will issue a decision on 28 October on whether an expiry review is warranted.
Canada Rules Certain Insulated Tubing Not Subject to AD/CV Duties. The Canada Border Services Agency has determined that certain insulated tubing and vacuum insulated tubing from mainland China are not subject to the AD and CV duty orders on certain seamless casing and oil country tubular goods from the mainland.
Argentina Renews AD Duty Order on Microwave Ovens. Argentina has renewed for an additional five years its AD duty order on mainland Chinese microwave ovens having a capacity not exceeding 37 litres classified under NCM 8516.50.00. As a result, subject merchandise will continue to face the following minimum FOB values: US$74.40/unit for mechanical microwave ovens having a capacity not exceeding 37 litres, US$96.26/unit for digital microwave ovens having a capacity not exceeding 24 litres, and US$118.56/unit for digital microwave ovens having a capacity greater than 24 litres but not exceeding 37 litres.
Brazil Preliminary Rules in Favour of Renewing AD Duty Order on Nylon Yarn. Brazil has preliminarily determined that the AD duty order on mainland Chinese nylon filament yarn classified under NCM 5402.31.11, 5402.31.19 and 5402.45.20 should be renewed. A final determination in this proceeding is due no later than 4 December.
Mexico Announces Scheduled Expiration of Six AD Duty Orders. Mexican authorities recently announced the scheduled expiration of the AD duty orders on the following products from mainland China.
- Stainless steel sinks classified under HTSMX 7324.10.01 – 9 May 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 30 March 2020).
- Cold-rolled steel sheet classified under HTSMX 7209.16.01, 7209.17.01, 7225.50.02 and 7225.50.03 – 20 June 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 15 May 2020).
- Ammonium sulphate classified under HTSMX 3102.21.01 and 3105.90.99 – 10 October 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 3 September 2020).
- Children’s bicycles classified under NCM 8712.00.20 – 22 December 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 13 November 2020).
- Hot-rolled steel products in coils classified under HTSMX 7208.36.01, 7208.37.01, 7208.38.01, 7208.39.01, 7225.30.02, 7225.30.03 and 7225.30.99 – 23 December 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 13 November 2020).
- Steel and zamac handles classified under HTSMX 8302.42.99 and 8302.49.99 – 24 December 2020 (any sunset review requests must be filed by 13 November 2020).